Nuisance Biting Flies
Flies such as the cluster flies and face flies may become a nuisance but don’t bite. Some flies, such a stable flies or horse flies can be called biting flies because of their painful bites. Other biting flies include mosquitoes, sand flies, black flies, and deer flies.
It is difficult to battle these biting flies because it is difficult to control their breeding sites since they breed in water areas such as ponds and swamps .It is suggested that you contact your local mosquito control district is see what is provided in management of their breeding sources. Stable flies breed in decaying grass or crop clippings, hay residues, and silage. Because they are extremely strong fliers, the source of the infestation may be located up to several hundred miles away. It is somewhat difficult to control stable flies.
Avoid outdoor activity during these peak biting times:
- Horse flies Deer flies, Black flies, and Stable flies are most active during the day.
- Sand flies are most active around sunrise or sunset.
- Deer flies and black flies are most prevalent in early to late spring. Stable flies are most abundant in late August through October or November. Sand flies are most abundant during summer months, but may bite at any time during the year.
- Increasing air movement in porches, patios, and picnic areas will keep biting flies away but will not usually provide complete protection.
- Burning candles, coils, and torches containing citronella or other biting fly repellent will sometimes help reduce bites. Burning these items produce smoke that repels biting insects.
- Most biting flies will usually rest on low vegetation until they detect a host. Pruning shrubs, mowing weedy areas, and opening up the environment for air flow will reduce numbers of biting flies in an area.
- Despite all efforts, biting flies may still be a problem. If biting flies get inside the house, space sprays can be applied to kill them. Aerosols such as space sprays, like CB 80 or PT 565 may be used to kill on contact. Remove all people and pets from rooms, turn off air handling systems, apply the product according to label directions, and wait about 10-15 minutes before aerating the room. Keep room vacant as long as the label recommends.
- Crack and crevice residual insecticide treatments can be used to treat areas where biting flies enter the house. Areas to be treated would include cracks around doors and windows.
- Biting flies that usually rest on vegetation or the sides of houses before entering or before biting people. Numbers of biting flies around houses can be reduced by applying outdoor barrier treatments to places flies would contact before biting or entering the house.
- Recommended residual and crack/crevice product is Bifen IT.
--Ads-- Best Sticky Fly Traps - TAGreat.com www.tagreat.com Fully disposable, Double-sided sticky fly traps, Draws pests like a magnet. --Ads--