Disposable fly traps are one of the best and environment friendly ways to trap or kill flies. These kind of traps are more suited for getting rid of flies outdoors.
Disposable fly traps are effective against most species of flies (there are 100,000 known fly species) including house flies, filth flies, stable flies, blow flies, blue and green bottle flies, flesh flies, face flies etc.
The best part about such traps is that, they are specifically designed for killing flies and hence they don’t trap other beneficial flying insects like bees, butterflies, etc.
How Disposable Fly Traps Work:
The above image shows how a fly trap works.
A disposable fly trap basically consists of a plastic bag which contains some attractant, the attractant acts a bait that flies find irresistible. The attractants generally comprise of food and feed ingredients, and some food flavoring agents which are recognized safe.
By default the attractants are in dormant mode, to activate the attractants you need to add some water to the bag and keep it in direct sunlight. When these traps get warm in the sun, the food flavoring agents release a scent to which flies get attracted.
Tempted by the scent, flies enter the trap, are trapped inside and are drowned in the water.
Where can these traps be used?
Generally, these traps are intended for outdoor use. It is recommended to use them at-least 20-30 feet away from any outdoor living spaces.
These traps can be hung near following locations:
- Near a dog kennel, but far from dogs reach.
- Near poultry, sheep, dairy and beef cattle areas.
- Around campsites.
- Near trash and garbage cans.
- Or near any other outdoor fly infested areas.
Pros and Cons of using disposable fly traps:
- They are environment friendly, ozone friendly and user friendly.
- They are non-toxic, and hence are safe for you, your children and your pets.
- Easy to assemble and use.
- A single unit can catch up to 20,000 flies.
- They are economical and a single unit lasts a month.
- Highly effective against pesticide resistant flies.
- No maintenance required and the unit is completely disposable.
- It only catches flies and has no effect on bees, butterflies or other beneficial insects. This is because the attractant is specifically made to attract flies only.
- After few days of use, when the dead bodies of flies inside the trap start decomposing, the trap emits a very bad smell resembling animal waste. And this is why it should be hung outdoors.
- In summer days, the trap needs to be watered periodically to make up for the water loss caused by evaporation.
- Some of the Disposable fly trap brands need sunlight and heat to get activated, and hence in winters they may take up to 3-4 days to start working.
--Advertisements-- Reusable Fly Catcher Cage Trap www.tagreat.com Reusable Fly Catcher Cage, Efficient, Environmentally Friendly. Widely used in the park, farms, canteens, restaurants, slaughterhouses, green belts, toilets, garbage room (field), and other public places.